Online Bachelor of Arts in English
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Acquire the Skills Every Employer Desires.
The skills students gain by earning an online Bachelor of Arts in English from LSU Alexandria will open doors to many opportunities, because employers consider written and oral communication, editing, copywriting, critical thinking, time management, creative thinking, and analysis essential to almost any career. Courses in the program include public speaking, creative writing, the study of drama, poetry, and literary history as well as a selection of foreign languages, taught by expert faculty who hold doctoral or terminal degrees.
Earn a Degree on Your Time
LSUA's online programs provide you the opportunity to synchronously interact with instructors (in real-time) via video conferencing and other technologies in a flexible format that fits your busy schedule. These sessions also allow engagement with course content and build a community among our online students.
Our former graduates have succeeded in a wide range of careers, including law, medicine, and education. Our degree can help students become secondary school English teachers, English language teachers, magazine or newspaper editors, proofreaders, copy or content writers, creative writers, librarians, public relations specialists, or grant writers, among many other professions.
LSUA ranked #3 on Best-Universities.net's list of the Most Affordable Online Bachelor's Degrees for 2022.
The Online BA in English ranked #4 in the 2020 Most Affordable Online Programs by OnlineU.org.
Explore This Program
Cost Online English
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. Transfer credits may apply for up to 75% of degree requirements. Your academic advisor will work with you to determine if and how any prior college credits earned will apply toward your LSUA degree.
Total credit hours per program: 120 credit hours
Cost per credit hour (with fees): $325
Total cost with fees, and the maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $9,750
Total cost with fees, no transfer credits and no financial aid: $39,000
For further information about the approval for transfer credits and other requirements, please visit this site.
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Fee schedules may vary by program depending on course-specific fees for proctoring and/or books. Please contact a Student Success Coach for more information.
Course Listings Online English
General Education Requirements
Composition (6 hours):
- ENGL 1001: English Composition | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 1002: English Composition II | Credit Hours: 3
Social Sciences: 6 hours (choose 2)
- GEOG 1001: World Regional Geography | Credit Hours: 3
- GEOG 1003: Human Geography | Credit Hours: 3
- PSYC 3001: Cultural Diversity | Credit Hours: 3
Fine Arts: 3 hours (choose 1)
- FIAR 1001: Introduction to Fine Arts | Credit Hours: 3
- MUSI 1751: Music Appreciation | Credit Hours: 3
Mathematics: 6 hours (choose 2)
- MATH 1021: College Algebra OR MATH 2018: Applied Algebra | Credit Hours: 3
- MATH 1029: Contemporary Mathematics | Credit Hours: 3
- MATH 2011: General Statistics | Credit Hours: 3
Natural Sciences (3 hours):
- BIOL 1001: General Biology I | Credit Hours: 3
Natural Sciences: 6 hours (choose two)
- BIOL 1002: General Biology II | Credit Hours: 3
- BIOL 2030: Introduction to Environmental Science | Credit Hours: 3
- PHSC 1001: Physical Science I | Credit Hours: 3
- CHEM 1001: For non-science majors OR PHSC 1002: Physical Science II | Credit Hours: 3
Humanities: 9 hours (choose 3)
- HIST 1001 and HIST 1003 | Credit Hours: 3
- HIST 2055 and 2057 | Credit Hours: 3
- CMST 1061: Communication Fundamentals | Credit Hours: 3
- CMST 2060: Public Speaking | Credit Hours: 3
Major Requirements: 18 hours (all are required)
- ENGL 2010: English Grammar | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 2027: Poetry | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 2031: The Novel | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 3020: British Literature I | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 3070: American Literature I | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 3022 or 3072: British Literature II OR American Literature II | Credit Hours: 3
Major (elective) Requirements: 21 hours (choose 7)
- ENGL 2002: Professional Writing | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 2005: Introduction to Creative Writing | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 3026: Literary History | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 3030: Slave Narratives | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 4001: Advanced Writing Workshop Credits: 3
- ENGL 4026: Studies in Poetry | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 4028: Studies in Drama | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 4148: Studies in Shakespeare | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 4370: Major Writers World Literature | Credit Hours: 3
- ENGL 4674: Major African-American Writers | Credit Hours: 3
Foreign Language: 6 hours (choose 2)
- SPAN 1001: Elementary Spanish I | Credit Hours: 3
- INTR 1320: American Sign Language I | Credit Hours: 3
- HEBR 1001: Elementary Hebrew I | Credit Hours: 3
- SPAN 1002: Elementary Spanish II | Credit Hours: 3
- INTR 1321: American Sign Language II | Credit Hours: 3
- HEBR 1002: Elementary Hebrew II | Credit Hours: 3
Electives in any field: 36 hours
Note: Course substitutions will be considered. There are often multiple ways to complete degree requirements.
Admission Requirements Online English
For university acceptance, first-time freshman must meet the following criteria:
- Complete high school Core curriculum for college readiness in place at time of high school graduation
- Not be required to take more than one developmental course
- Have a high school grade point average of at least 2.0
- Meet one of the following:
- Have an ACT composite of 20 or higher
- Have a high school Core grade point average of at least 2.0
Transfer students to LSUA must meet one of the following sets of criteria:
- Have earned a transferable associate degree or higher
- Have earned at least 18 hours of college-level credit, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0
- Have earned at least 12 hours of college-level credit from LSUE or CLTCC Bridge Program, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
- If the above are not met, meet freshman admission requirements and be in good standing with their previous institution
Career Opportunities Online English
- Social Media Manager
- Technical Writer
- Public Relations Specialist
- Grant Writer
- Editor and Content Manager
What Will I Learn? Online English
Students who earn an English degree will gain a versatile set of written and oral communication skills to prepare them for many different career pathways.
Topics covered in the program include:
- A survey of the structure of English grammar and an exploration of the complexities of usage
- A study of poetic forms, meter, scansion, and the use of language open to poets and to those who write about poetry
- A study of the novel as a unique literary form and an exploration of its historical and cultural development and its major critics
- A study of the canonical writers of the English Anglo-Saxon period, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment
- A study of major works by significant writers from the exploration period through the United States Civil War
- A study of significant works by writers of the United States from the Civil War to the present day
Why Choose This Program? Online English
Why choose LSUA’s online Bachelor of Arts in English?
A bachelor’s degree in English provides students with a comprehensive foundation for effective research and writing skills. LSUA’s affordable online english degree is flexible and convenient, and students can earn a degree at home or anywhere with internet access. The program also features accelerated 7-week courses and a student-friendly format.