Online Bachelor’s in Mass Communication - Public Relations
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Become an Effective and Strategic Communicator.
As more communication platforms are now available, Public Relations is evolving to embrace a broader range of innovative strategies for engaging diverse audiences. It is becoming more critical for Public Relations professionals to create tailored and shareable content for audiences with different needs and develop sustainable relationships with them. Public Relations will continue to serve as the link between organizations and their constituents, meeting the growing demand for strategic communications in many sectors.
Graduates with a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication with a concentration in Public Relations will develop skills to plan and implement strategic communication that attempts to improve the relationship between individuals, organizations and/or companies with key constituencies. Public Relations graduates typically secure jobs with businesses or non-profit organizations as public information officers, communication/marketing directors, events coordinators, press secretaries, and Public Relations agents. Manship School alumni work at Edelman, the Denver Broncos, American Red Cross, International Communications at General Motors and Think Public Relations in New York.
Learn from a top-tier, award-winning faculty
LSU’s professors are recognized as thought leaders in their fields, ensuring that the online experience is as rewarding as that of an on-campus classroom.
Connect with an expansive alumni network
LSU’s alumni network can help open doors to opportunities across the country is a wide range of industries.
Be a part of the Tiger Nation
Join more than 250,000 alumni worldwide from the flagship institution of Louisiana.
Stand out in the crowd
Develop valuable leadership skills and the necessary knowledge and abilities to be competitive upon graduation.
Explore This Program
Cost Online Public Relations
You may be able to find savings and earn credit from previous work or training, or as demonstrated by your industry certifications, through Prior Learning Assessment. Learn more.
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. For the BA in Mass Communication with a concentration in Public Relations program, you are able to transfer up to 75% of previous credits.
Your academic advisor will work with you to determine if and how any prior college credits earned will apply toward your LSU degree.
*For further information about the approval for transfer credits and other requirements, please visit this site.
LSU Online also offers financial aid to qualified applicants. Click here to learn more.
Total credit hours per program: 120 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $379
Total cost with fees and maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $11,370
Total cost with fees, no transfer credits and no financial aid: $45,480
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Fee schedules may vary by program depending on course-specific fees for proctoring and/or books. Please contact a Student Success Coach for more information.
Course Listings Online Public Relations
- MC 2010: Media Writing | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 2015: Visual Communication | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 2035: Digital Brands | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 3080: Mass Media Law | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 4090: Media Ethics and Social Responsibility | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 3001: Public Relations Writing and Applications | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 3010: Introduction to Public Relations | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 4002: Strategies for Public Relations and Social Media | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 4020: Public Relations Research | Credit Hours: 3
- MC 4005: Public Relations Campaigns | Credit Hours: 3
- MC Electives | Credit Hours: 6
- MKT 3401: Principles of Marketing | Credit Hours: 3
- MGT 3200: Principles of Management | Credit Hours: 3
Admission Requirements Online Public Relations
First Time Freshman
- 3.0 Core GPA on the 19 units of college-preparatory high school courses as outlined in the LSU Core
- LSU is a test-optional institution which means applicants will have the choice to select if they wish to have their ACT or SAT scores considered for admission. Click here to learn more!
Transfer Student General Admission Requirements
- 30* or more transferable (academic, non-remedial) credit hours from a regionally-accredited college or university
- 2.5 academic GPA on all transferable college work attempted
- A grade of “C” or better in a college-level English course that fulfilled a general education requirement at the institution where it was taken
- A grade of “C” or better in a college-level Math course that fulfilled a general education requirement at the institution where it was taken
*Students who will not have 30 transferable credit hours by the time they plan to enroll at LSU can still be considered for admission if they meet all remaining transfer requirements.
To see about transfer credits please check out the TIGER TRANSFER TABLES
Re-Entry Student Admission Requirements
Students interested in applying for re-entry to LSU must have a 2.0 GPA on all LSU coursework and must meet the requirements for their prospective senior college. Students who have attempted 30 or more hours at another institution must also have a 2.5 cumulative GPA on all college work attempted. For your senior college specific requirements please check out the Re-Entry Student Requirements per College.
If you feel like you do not meet any of the above qualifications please reach out to your Enrollment Coach team member as there are different evaluation pathways for non-traditional students to take.
Undergraduate students who are reviewed and admitted by meeting LSU A&M general admissions requirements but do not meet the admittance requirements to a senior college have two admissions options:
Students can start with The University College Center for Freshman Year (UCFY). This academic unit is designed for new freshmen and some transfer and re-entry students. Their mission is to prepare incoming students for success at LSU and to help define their academic and career goals. Students typically exit the UCFY at the conclusion of the freshman year and enter one of the degree-granting senior colleges at LSU.
Students can start with The Center for Advising and Counseling (UCAC). This administrative unit serves as the academic home for students who have attempted 30-plus hours of college credit and who do not yet meet the admission requirements for one of the University’s degree-granting senior colleges.
For a list of specific senior college requirements please visit the LSU A&M Undergraduate Admission page.
Career Opportunities Online Public Relations
- Press Secretary
- Public Relations Agent
- Marketing/Communications Manager
- Media Buyer
- Investor Relations
- Account Executive
- Public Information Officer
- Production Coordinator
- Media Planner
- Events Coordinator
- Art Director
- Media Relations Specialist
What Will I Learn? Online Public Relations
Students who graduate with an online public relations degree will gain the skills to create content for diverse audiences and help organizations develop positive relationships with the public.
Topics covered in this degree include the following:
- Skills associated with writing, grammar, style and information gathering for mass media
- Strategies for the design, development and production of media programs using advanced computer and video systems
- Introduction to digital, mobile and social media; personal branding within the digital landscape
- Legal rights of and restraints on the mass media; emphasis on First Amendment considerations
- Role of the media as socially responsible institutions; ethical issues, policies and practices in gathering, processing and disseminating content
- History, theory and current communication strategies in public relations
- Exploration of strategic communication cases that use both traditional and emerging media
- Introduction to the role of research in public relations; utilizing qualitative and quantitative methods and research tools necessary to conduct research that informs the public relations planning process and aides in the assessment/evaluation of PR activities
Why Choose This Program? Online Public Relations
Why choose LSU’s online Online Bachelor’s in Mass Communication - Public Relations?
This program focuses on strategic communication creation, planning, problem-solving and relationship-building in today’s digital world. PR professionals often play important roles in an organization's reputation management, crisis communication and corporate social responsibility. If you are thinking about PR, as a career you will want to build good writing skills, understand the inner-workings of various forms of media and be a good public speaker.
LSU’s online public relations degree offers a mixture of foundational and specialized PR courses. Students learn both theoretical knowledge and practical skills that prepare them for a lasting career in this fast-changing industry. The 100% virtual coursework also is flexible and convenient, which is ideal for working professionals or students who desire to complete internships during the program.