Online Master of Public Health
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Be a Leader in Health and Wellness Across the Globe.
This program is designed for aspiring students seeking to address public health issues with evidence-based approaches. Throughout the program, students will interact with renowned public health faculty from both the LSUS and LSUHS campuses in a collaborative online learning environment. Graduates of our MPH Program will be equipped to pursue careers in a variety of fields including, but not limited to, health education, epidemiology, environmental health, analytics, management, policy, and research within the public, private, and not-for-profit workforce sector.
The Mission of the LSUS/LSUHS Master of Public Health Program is to prepare future leaders to better address the health care needs of people in Louisiana, nationally and globally through education, research and public service. Our program, accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), ensures students are grounded in the foundational public health knowledge areas as well as the foundational competencies necessary for a rigorous education in Public Health.
LSUS/LSUHS MPH Program
Accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
Study from a rigorous CEPH approved curriculum
Our focused coursework prepares students for today's real-world challenges facing public health. Courses have been developed from public health experts to expand students' knowledge and leadership skills based on the Foundational Public Health Knowledge areas and 27 MPH Foundational Competencies.
Benefit from a flexible format
Students are able to complete the program 100% online, allowing them to balance work, family and other life responsibilities. The 42 hour curriculum can be completed within two years.
Earn an accredited degree from a top-ranked program
The MPH degree is accredited and ranked #1 in Louisiana by EduMed.org for most affordable and #4 nationally by Fortune for Best Online MPH degree in 2022. LSUS proudly continues to set standards for online learning.
You will have access to MPH faculty and services on both the LSUS and LSUHS campuses. Additionally, the program faculty actively provide curriculum advising and career counseling along with engagement in monthly seminars via Zoom.
"The Masters in Public Health (MPH) degree program is a joint effort between Louisiana State University in Shreveport and Louisiana State University Health- Shreveport. This unique relationship offers the student two universities with robust resources to use both on and off campus. The MPH program size is maintained at a level where students get the attention they need to succeed, when they need it. Classes are always taught by faculty members and not graduate assistants; therefore, you receive direct personal attention and expertise from your professor. Each student is assigned a specific faculty advisor to guide decision making for courses and to offer career guidance. We give you more for less!"
Dr. Denise Bates-Fendi
Associate Professor, Associate Director Masters of Public Health Program at Louisiana State University System
Explore This Program
Cost Online Master of Public Health
LSU Online offers several ways to help you pay for your degree including credit for prior learning (PLA), financial aid, and veteran education benefits. Learn More.
Total credit hours: 42 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $775 (includes all fees)
Total cost with fees: $32,550
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Exact fees may vary by program. Please consult an Enrollment Coach for the final program cost.
Course Listings Online Master of Public Health
Core Courses: 30 hours
- PUBH 701 Introduction to Public Health and Health Disparities | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 703 Public Health Leadership and Ethics | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 707 Program Planning | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 708 Principles of Epidemiology | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 709 Principles of Biostatistics | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 710 Environmental Health | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 712 Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 713 Health Service Administration, Health Management and Policy | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 721 Research Methods | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 723 Program Evaluation | Credit Hours: 3
Electives: 6 hours (students must select two courses)
- PUBH 702 Public Health Law and Ethics | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 704 Human Disease and Health Promotion for Public Health Professionals | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 705 Principles of Health Promotion and Intervention | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 706 Public Health Nutrition | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 714 Empowerment through Community Health Sciences | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 715 Risk Assessment | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 716 Conflict Resolution | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 717 Public Health Strategic Planning | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 718 Global Health | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 719 Health and Diseases Across Ages | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 720 Graphic Information Systems (GIS) in Public Health | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 724 Understanding Poverty - A Public Health Perspective | Credit Hours: 3
Required Culminating Experience: 6 hours
- PUBH 782 Applied Practice Experience (APE) | Credit Hours: 3
- PUBH 783 Integrated Learning Experience (ILE) | Credit Hours: 3
The final requirement for master degree candidates is to pass the Comprehensive Final Examination and culminating experience (capstone or thesis). Comprehensives may be taken during the semester in which the candidate is registered for the last three semester hours of required credit prior to the final culminating experience. Comprehensive Exam students who fail the qualifying examination will have the opportunity for one "make-up" examination no later than 30 days after the first examination. After two unsuccessful attempts to pass the examination, the faculty may recommend additional courses or other forms of remediation prior to a third attempt. Inability to pass the examination after three attempts will result in dismissal from the degree program.
Learn more about the online Master of Public Health's term dates and important deadlines.
Admission Requirements Online Master of Public Health
To be considered for regular admission to the MPH degree program, all applicants must submit an online application for admission that can be found on LSUS’s website. US Citizens and International applicants must submit all LSUS Graduate Studies required admission documents to the Office of Admissions and Records. Students who meet the admission criteria for LSUS Graduate Studies must also meet the following program specific criteria to be considered for admission into the MPH degree program:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university, with a minimum 3.0 overall GPA or minimum 3.0 GPA in the last 60 semester hours
- Three letters of reference needed. Please send the following survey link to the references: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z3YXT2N. This evaluation survey should take about 5 minutes to complete and fulfills the requirement for the letters of recommendation
- Applicants will be invited to complete an Asynchronous Interview in Sparkhire via email
Upon receipt of these requirements, the MPH Admission Committee will make admission decisions based on all materials submitted to the University and the MPH Program. No GRE score is required for this program.
Career Opportunities Online Master of Public Health
- Restaurant inspectors
- First responders
- Health educators
- Scientists and researchers
- Community planners
- Social workers
- Public health physicians
- Public health nurses
- Occupational health and safety professionals
- Public policymakers
- Environmental health
- Analytics management
- Program planning and evaluation
Accreditation Online Master of Public Health
Accreditation - Online Master of Public Health
LSUS/LSUHS Master of Public Health Program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), which ensures students are grounded in the foundational public health knowledge areas as well as the foundational competencies necessary for a rigorous education in Public Health.
Why Choose the LSUS/LSUHS MPH Program? Online Master of Public Health
As an integral part of the LSU System, LSUS and LSUHS students receive a high-quality education led by qualified and dedicated faculty and staff. LSUS and LSUHS offer a unique MPH degree program in smaller, more personalized classroom environments both on campus and online. Tuition rates at LSUS are among the most competitive in the state for this high standard of education, leaving a large portion of their students to graduate debt free. LSUS/LSUHS MPH graduates leave the program well equipped and prepared to succeed as professionals in a variety of public health sectors.