Online Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Systems Engineering
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Lead Transformative Change in Healthcare
Offered through LSU Online and the LSU College of Engineering, the online Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Systems Engineering is designed to prepare students with the foundational knowledge and skills needed to address rising healthcare costs. Students will gain technical skills necessary to analyze healthcare systems, identify inefficiencies and propose solutions or new processes to improve the overall quality and efficiency of healthcare.Systems engineers are educated and trained to focus on the system as a whole, and to implement changes in components that actually optimize the whole system.
It’s the synthesis of all of that knowledge with systems thinking that will improve the healthcare system for the future.
This graduate certificate doesn’t require a specific bachelor of science and is taught by renowned faculty with healthcare experience. It also serves as a pathway to the online MS in Industrial Engineering.
This program is offered in partnership with Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center. The coursework was developed and reviewed with OLOL MDs and executives to reflect the current needs of the healthcare industry.
Named by Forbes as one of America’s Best Value Colleges.
No GRE required for admission.
Receive a dedicated coach from application to graduation.
Relevant coursework equips graduates with the confidence to land jobs in their field of study.
Explore This Program
LSU Online offers several ways to help you pay for your degree including credit for prior learning (PLA), financial aid, and veteran education benefits. Learn More.
Total credit hours per program: 12 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $750
Total cost with fees: $9,000
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Exact fees may vary by program. Please consult an Enrollment Coach for the final program cost.
- IE 4113 - Project Management | Credit Hours: 3
- IE 4120 - Healthcare Engineering | Credit Hours: 3
- IE 7361 - IE Research Methods | Credit Hours: 3
- IE 7850 - Quality Management | Credit Hours: 3
Total: 12 Credits
Although there are no restrictions regarding the major area of study pursued in the baccalaureate program, graduates of curricula outside the program area will be required to satisfy prerequisite requirements in the program area. This prerequisite work will not carry graduate credit but is intended to satisfy deficiencies. The number of courses required will depend on the student's background and preparation; such requisite courses may have prerequisites that need to be fulfilled prior to enrolling in those courses.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent foreign institution
- At least a 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale) GPA overall in their undergraduate courses and in any graduate work already completed
- Official transcripts of all previous college or university work
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
- Personal statement
- Continuous Improvement Specialist
- Healthcare Manager
- Healthcare Management Engineer
- Hospital Process Engineer
- Industrial Healthcare Engineer
- Medical Manager
- Health Services Manager
What Will I Learn?
Students who earn an online healthcare systems engineering certificate will acquire the skills and knowledge to transform healthcare systems and processes.
Topics covered in this program include:
- Project management and theory practice. Practical approach to organizing, planning, and controlling projects in information systems, healthcare, manufacturing and services
- Overview of the current healthcare system in the United States, applications of industrial engineering tools to the healthcare domain, and a review of current topics in industrial engineering in healthcare
- Analyzing industrial engineering research and improvement initiatives through planned data collection using laboratory and field studies, basic approaches to data presentation and analysis, IRB, HIPAA and other regulatory policies, and practical aspects of experiment execution
- Philosophy and concepts of quality management, organization for quality, quality cost, quality audits and corrective actions, tools and techniques for improvement
Why Choose This Program?
Why choose LSU’s online Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Systems Engineering?
As the healthcare industry rapidly grows, organizations will need experienced professionals to design and operate new healthcare systems. The online certificate in healthcare systems engineering from LSU provides you with the practical knowledge and skills to become a key part of your company and advance your career.