Online Bachelor of General Studies with a concentration in Health Sciences
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Thrive in Your Healthcare Career with LSU Online
With LSU Alexandria’s online Bachelor of General Studies with a concentration in Health Sciences, you can take your healthcare career to the next level by completing a flexible health sciences program that allows you to customize your degree to meet your specific career goals. Designed for those who want an interdisciplinary education, students who complete the program are prepared to advance their careers in the healthcare industry by qualifying for exciting opportunities such as a healthcare administrator, healthcare communications specialist, and epidemiologist. This flexible degree also provides students with the solid foundation needed to continue their education by entering a clinical healthcare program or graduate degree program. Additionally, LSUA's online programs provide you the opportunity to synchronously interact with instructors (in real-time) via video conferencing and other technologies in a flexible format that fits your busy schedule. These sessions also allow engagement with course content and build a community among our online students.
Job growth in the healthcare industry has increased significantly and will continue to so well into the future, enabling students with healthcare education and training to qualify for an expanding number of exciting career opportunities.
With the convenience of earning your degree online, this program is perfect for students who need to balance school, work, and life, and is also a great option for members of the military.
Earn the credit hours you need for CPA licensure at an affordable cost.
As an LSU Online student, you receive continuous support from the moment you apply, all the way through graduation, including a dedicated Enrollment Coach to assist you in the application process and a Student Success Coach to provide support as you earn your degree.
Explore This Program
Cost Online Health Sciences
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. Transfer credits may apply for up to 75% of degree requirements. Your academic advisor will work with you to determine if and how any prior college credits earned will apply toward your LSUA degree.
Total credit hours for program: 120 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $291
Total cost with fees and maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $8,730
Total cost with fees, no transfer credits, and no financial aid: $34,920
For further information about the approval for transfer credits and other requirements, please visit this site.
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Exact fees may vary by program. Please consult an Enrollment Coach for the final program cost.
Course Listings Online Health Sciences
- HESC 1003: Introduction to the Health Care System | Credit hours: 1
- HESC 1004: Client Care Interactions | Credit hours: 2
- HESC 1010: Health Terminology for Health Professionals OR HESC 1400: Health Care Language Applications | Credit hours: 3
- HESC 3200: Quality Management | Credit hours: 3
- HESC 4600: Healthcare Administration | Credit hours: 3
- HESC 4610: Health Sciences Internship | Credit hours: 3
- ECON 4421: Healthcare Economics | Credit hours: 3
- FINC 4718: Corporate Finance for Health Care | Credit hours: 3
- PHIL 3025: Medical Ethics and Law | Credit hours: 3
- POLI 4012: Politics and Policy of Elder Health Care | Credit hours: 3
Must complete 39 general education credits including 9 credits in natural sciences, 9 credits in humanities, 6 credits in English composition, 6 credits in analytical reasoning, 6 credits in social sciences, and 3 credits in arts.
Must complete 24 credit hours in enrichment blocks.
Must complete 30 credit hours of electives.
Admission Requirements Online Health Sciences
For university acceptance, first-time freshman must meet the following criteria:
- Complete high school Core curriculum for college readiness in place at time of high school graduation
- Not be required to take more than one developmental course
- Have a high school grade point average of at least 2.0
- Meet one of the following:
- Have an ACT composite of 20 or higher
- Have a high school Core grade point average of at least 2.0
Transfer students to LSUA must meet one of the following sets of criteria:
- Have earned a transferable associate degree or higher
- Have earned at least 18 hours of college-level credit, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0
- Have earned at least 12 hours of college-level credit from LSUE or CLTCC Bridge Program, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
- If the above are not met, meet freshman admission requirements and be in good standing with their previous institution
Career Opportunities Online Health Sciences
- Healthcare Administrator
- Healthcare Communications Specialist
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
What Will I Learn? Online Health Sciences
Students who graduate with an online health sciences degree will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to begin entry-level healthcare positions.
Topics covered in this program include:
- An introduction to the history of health care; financial aspects of health care; providers of health care; legal and ethical issues of health care; and health care as a profession
- The study of concepts in client care interactions
- A course designed to enable the student to understand and interpret complex medical terms by learning prefixes, suffixes, and root elements commonly used in a clinical setting
- An overview of the basic principles and techniques for measuring, monitoring, reporting, and improving the delivery and management of healthcare services
- An overview of the rapidly changing healthcare environment and the challenges it poses for managers and supervisors
- Applied microeconomics covering the determinants of supply and demand for health care, markets for physician services, nurses, hospital services, medical education, and health insurance; the role of government in medical care and health insurance
- Study of various ethical and legal issues that arise in professions with responsibility for management of the care of the elderly
Why Choose This Program? Online Health Sciences
Why choose LSUA’s online Bachelor of General Studies with a concentration in Health Sciences?
The healthcare field is a thriving industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for healthcare professionals are projected to grow 16 percent from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations. LSUA’s affordable degree in health sciences can provide the basic foundation for graduates to begin entry-level positions in the field or pursue an advanced education. Courses are flexible and 100% online, ideal for working students.