Online Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Earn a Degree in a Thriving Field
The online Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is offered through LSU Alexandria’s Department of Math and Computer Science and LSU Online. Students enrolled in this program will learn to use computer programming, mathematics, data structures, and algorithms to solve a variety of computational problems.
This program was developed with a focus on project-based activities, including real-life, practical learning that students can use to help them advance in their jobs or start their careers in computer science. Additionally, students will produce tangible work samples to aid in job searches. Graduates will be well prepared to apply to a master’s program or begin a variety of jobs across several industries. Potential job opportunities include Computer Support Specialist, Technology Consultant, Software QA Engineer, Web Designer, Web Developer, Computer Systems Engineer, Database Administrator, Data Engineer, Product Manager, and more.
Low Student-Teacher Ratio
Students enrolled in this program receive close attention and instruction from the faculty due to small class sizes.
Maximize Your Transfer Credit
Students can transfer up to 90 credit hours from regionally accredited institutions.
Learn In-Demand Skills
Courses include a focus on JAVA and other valuable programming technologies.
Project-based courses give graduates a tangible portfolio to use in job interviews.
Explore This Program
CostOnline Computer Science
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. For this program, you are able to transfer up to 90 credits.
Total credit hours per program: 120
Cost per credit hour: $291
Total cost with fees and maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $8,730
Total cost with fees, no transfer credits and no financial aid: $34,920
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Exact fees may vary by program. Please consult an Enrollment Coach for the final program cost.
Course Listings Online Computer Science
The BS in Computer Science requires 120 credits to earn your degree with 29 credit hours of free electives.
General Education Requirements (41 Credit Hours)
|ENGL 1001: English Composition I||3|
|ENGL 1002: English Composition II||3|
|General Education Social Sciences||6|
|MATH 1550 OR MATH 1540/1541: Calculus I||4|
|MATH 1552 OR MATH 1541/1543: Calculus II||4|
|PHYS 2001/2002 OR PHYS 2101/2102 OR CHEM 1201/1202||6|
|General Education Biology||3|
|General Education Communication Studies||3|
|General Education Humanities||6|
|General Education Fine Arts||3|
Major Requirements (40 Credit Hours)
|CSCI 1250: Introduction to Computer Programming||3|
|CSCI 2350: Computer Programming I||3|
|CSCI 2351: Computer Programming II||3|
|CSCI 3102: Data Structures and Algorithms||3|
|CSCI 3200: Ethics in Computer Science||1|
|MATH 3259: Discrete Structures||3|
|CSCI 3362: Cybersecurity||3|
|CSCI 3501: Computer Organization and Design||3|
|CSCI 4101: Programming Languages||3|
|CSCI 4103: Operating Systems||3|
|CSCI 4330: Software Development||3|
|CSCI 4402: Database Systems||3|
|CSCI 4890: Theory of Computation||3|
|Additional hours are chosen from 3000/4000-level CSCI courses||3|
Additional Requirements (39 Credit Hours)
|MATH 3085: Linear Algebra||3|
|MATH 2011: General Statistics OR MATH 4056: Mathematical Statistics||3|
|MATH 4065: Numerical Analysis||3|
|CHEM 1301 or PHYS 2108||1|
Admission Requirements Online Computer Science
For university acceptance, first-time freshman must meet the following criteria:
- Complete high school Core curriculum for college readiness in place at time of high school graduation
- Not be required to take more than one developmental course
- Have a high school grade point average of at least 2.0
- Meet one of the following:
- Have an ACT composite of 20 or higher
- Have a high school Core grade point average of at least 2.0
Transfer students to LSUA must meet one of the following sets of criteria:
- Have earned a transferable associate degree or higher
- Have earned at least 18 hours of college-level credit, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0
- Have earned at least 12 hours of college-level credit from LSUE or CLTCC Bridge Program, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
- If the above are not met, meet freshman admission requirements and be in good standing with their previous institution
Career Opportunities Online Computer Science
- Document Control Specialist
- Data Mining Analyst
- Data Warehousing Specialist
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Business Intelligence Architect
- IT Project Manager
- Hardware Engineer
- Video Game Designer
- Network Systems Support Specialist
- Technology Consultant
- Software QA Engineer
- Web Designer
- Web Developer
- Other Positions Requiring Expertise in Computer Science
What Will I Learn? Online Computer Science
Students enrolled in the online computer science degree program will acquire knowledge in key discipline areas and use it to design, implement, and evaluate computer-based systems.
Topics covered in this degree include:
- Fundamentals of algorithm development, program design, and structured programming using an object-oriented language
- Solutions to problems using an object-oriented approach and emphasizing the concepts of recursion
- Set algebra including mappings and relations; algebraic structures including semigroups and groups
- Computer-oriented methods for solving numerical problems in science and engineering
- Description and utilization of formal ADT representations, especially those on lists, sets, and graphs
- Introduction to ethics theory, ethical decision-making as it relates to the computing professional, licensing, intellectual property, conflicts of interest, freedom of information and privacy, security
- Advanced object-oriented software development; emphasis on the use of the unified modeling language as a design too
Why choose LSU Alexandria’s online Bachelor of Science in Computer Science? Online Computer Science
Computer science and the career pathways it opens up have a healthy level of demand. This degree provides the chance for graduates to have a reliable career in almost any industry. The program is 100% online, making it convenient for working professionals to earn an affordable, highly-valued bachelor's degree from an accredited university. Also, due to the size of LSUA's classes, students can expect a culture that provides students individual attention in a caring environment.