Online Master of Education - Educational Leadership
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Expand Your Skills. Become a Trusted School Leader.
Designed for accomplished and caring teachers ready to take their skills to the next level, LSU’s online Master of Education in Educational Leadership helps prepare educators to become more effective leaders and administrators. This comprehensive program allows educators to attain more challenging and in-demand education jobs and to build learning communities that are welcoming, challenging, and rewarding for children and teachers alike.
The program can be completed in as little as 15 months and works in conjunction with teachers’ and educators’ personal and professional schedules. LSU’s coursework covers all areas of the educational spectrum, with classes in topics such as ethics and educational leadership, administration of school personnel, and applying research in education.
Maintain your personal and educational commitments
Finish in less than two years or take courses over a longer period of time. Whatever way you need to pursue the program, LSU makes it possible.
Learn from established educational professionals
Not only do teachers make up a large percentage of the program, but students also study under leading educational and leadership professionals.
No GRE/GMAT required
Applications may be submitted without a GRE/GMAT exam score.
LSUA ranked #3 on Best-Universities.net's list of the Most Affordable Online Bachelor's Degrees for 2022.
See What Makes This Program Special
LSU Online 2019 graduate Glenda Dorsey talks about her journey as a non-traditional student and the LSU professors who helped her succeed.
Program Prepares Students For Careers in Education
Assistant Professor Carlos Lee talks about the great things students can accomplish professionally while earning their Master of Education in Educational Leadership.
Explore This Program
Cost LSU Online Master in Educational Leadership Degree
You may be able to find savings and earn credit from previous work or training, or as demonstrated by your industry certifications, through Prior Learning Assessment. Learn more.
Total credit hours per program: 39 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $459
Total cost with fees: $17,901
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Exact fees may vary by program. Please consult an Enrollment Coach for the final program cost.
Course Listings LSU Online Master in Educational Leadership Degree
|Educational Leadership Core||Credit Hours|
|ELRC 4249: Understanding and Applying Research in Education||3|
|ELRC 7001: Ethics and Educational Leadership||3|
|ELRC 7401: Administration of School Personnel||3|
|ELRC 7404: Internship in Educational Administration||6|
|ELRC 7422: Introduction to School Improvement/Action Research||3|
|ELRC 7423: Advanced School Improvement/Action Research||3|
|ELRC 7432: Best Practices of Principal Leadership I||3|
|ELRC 7433: Best Practices of Principal Leadership II||3|
|ELRC 7434: Best Practices of Principal Leadership III||3|
|ELRC 7435: Best Practices of Principal Leadership IV||3|
|ELRC 7450: Supervision of Instruction in Elementary and Secondary Schools||3|
|ELRC 7900: Independent Study||3|
Admission Requirements LSU Online Master in Educational Leadership Degree
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited U.S. or equivalent from a foreign institution*
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 on all undergraduate work (or in the final 60 credit hours) and for any graduate work already completed
*Applicants with foreign credit hours are strongly encouraged to provide a course-by-course evaluation of these credentials
Program Application Requirements
- 3 letters of recommendation – (1) from a principal, and (2) another professional
- Valid Louisiana Type B or Level 2 teaching certificate or comparable level out-of-state
- Current employment at a school or district
- 2 years of successful teaching experience in your area of certification
- Evidence of leadership potential – see nomination letter requirements
- GRE Exam scores are not required
- Also need documented evidence of one of the following:
- Teacher of the year nomination
- Mentor Teacher for LA TAAP
- National Board Certification
- Presenter at local, state or national conference or workshop
- Publication (not self-published material)
- Teacher Leader Endorsement Personal Statement
- Introduction, your motivation to attend the Educational Leadership program, personal and career goals, your commitment to excellence, and your readiness to pursue this degree in an online format
- Nomination letter (letter of recommendation) – current or past administrator (principal) on letterhead or from professional email address, attesting to your leadership potential and to at least 2 years of full-time successful teaching in your area of certification
- One additional letter of recommendation on letterhead or from professional email address attesting to your leadership potential.
Career Opportunities LSU Online Master in Educational Leadership Degree
- Assistant Principal
- University Registrar
- Instructional Coordinator
- Dean of Students
- District Administrator
Accreditation LSU Online Master in Educational Leadership Degree
Our online Master of Education in Educational Leadership is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
What Will I Learn? LSU Online Master in Educational Leadership Degree
Students who graduate with an online Master in Educational Leadership will be prepared to lead more effectively in their schools and communities.
Curriculum will include the following topics:
- How to become intelligent consumers of research
- Ethical theory, judgment and practice in educational contexts
- Role of the school administrator in personnel planning, staff development, and employee relationships
- School effectiveness research; teacher effectiveness research; school improvement; action research
- The knowledge and experiential base to support decision-making and action at a level of whole school responsibility
- Theories, principles, and practices concerning the role of the supervisor in today’s multicultural school settings
Why Choose This Program? LSU Online Master in Educational Leadership Degree
Why choose LSU’s online Master of Education in Educational Leadership?
LSU’s program provides educators with enhanced leadership skills while building on the strong foundation of teaching abilities they already possess. The program can be completed in 15 months on an aggressive track, but students also have the option of completing it at their own pace. Classes are 100 percent online, allowing students to continue to manage both their personal and educational commitments. Additionally, the program provides invaluable career and networking opportunities with current teachers in the cohort, LSU’s leading faculty, and the school’s expansive alumni network.
Why a Master in Educational Leadership?
A degree in educational leadership provides teachers with the skills necessary to leap from teacher to a more senior or managerial role within the educational system. Principal, administrator, and superintendent are competitive positions that often require candidates to possess both a master’s degree and a strong sense of leadership. A Master of Education in Educational Leadership can help professionals meet those qualifications.
The degree isn’t just about advancing one’s educational career. LSU’s program also emphasizes the need to effectively teach students and create learning communities where students can thrive. Enrolled students will also learn about advanced topics such as educational ethics and school improvement so graduates can make positive, groundbreaking changes in their schools.
Educator Licensure Requirements LSU Online Master in Educational Leadership Degree
Teacher Education Disclosure
The Master of Education – Educational Leadership, (MEd), meets the educational eligibility criteria for certification in Educational Leadership in the State of Louisiana. Graduates of this Louisiana state-approved school leader preparation program with a valid Louisiana Type B or Level 2 teaching certificate, or a comparable out-of-state certificate, will qualify for a Level 1 Professional Certificate.
Graduates of the program who wish to teach in another U.S. state or country may be required to meet additional eligibility criteria to qualify for licensure and/or certification in those locations. We are unable to confirm the licensure and/or certification requirements of other states or countries.
If you intend to pursue a leadership credential in a location outside the state of Louisiana, it is advised that you contact the applicable state or country credentialing authority for specific requirements, and to help you determine if completing this program meets certification eligibility criteria for your intended location. Potential students are urged to consult the links here for information regarding the contact information for each state’s licensure authorities and current licensure requirements.
If you have additional questions in this regard, please contact us at email@example.com to assist you in your career planning.