Online Criminal Justice Certificate
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Establish a Rewarding Career in the Criminal Justice System
The online Undergraduate Certificate in Criminal Justice is offered through LSU Online and the LSU Alexandria College of Social Science. This program provides students with 18 credit hours of quality criminal justice courses in a variety of areas
Students will choose courses on various topics including the problems and theories within the field, the motives behind crime, and the complexities of the judicial process. This online criminal justice certificate can be the first step for students to begin or advance their careers. Completers work in courts, corrections, policing, private security or investigation, children and family service, or juvenile justice.
Save Time and Money - Apply your past law enforcement training to earn up to 3 hours of credit towards an Online Undergraduate Certificate in Criminal Justice through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).
LSUA ranked #10 on OnlineSchoolsReport.com's list of the Top 50 Most Affordable Online Colleges.
Criminal Justice Training Institute
LSUA’s Criminal Justice Training Institute prepares law enforcement professionals to be leaders in the field.
Learn from award-winning faculty and instructors chosen for their real-world experience.
Experience a flexible format that is ideal for professionals balancing work and home responsibilities.
Explore This Program
Cost - Online Criminal Justice Certificate
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. For the Undergraduate Certificate in Criminal Justice program, you are able to transfer up to 3 credit hours. If you decide to continue on into a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, additional transfer credits may be applied.
Total credit hours: 18 credit hours
Cost per credit hour (with fees): $325
Total cost with fees, and the maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $1,625
Total cost with fees, no transfer credits and no financial aid: $5,850
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Fee schedules may vary by program depending on course-specific fees for proctoring and/or books. Please contact a Student Success Coach for more information.
Course Listings - Online Criminal Justice Certificate
The Undergraduate Certificate in Criminal Justice requires 18 credits, including one core course and five specialization courses.
Core Courses: 1
|CJUS 1107: Introduction to Criminal Justice||3|
Specialization Courses: Choose Two
|CJUS 2002: Professional Writing in Criminal Justice||3|
|CJUS 2092: Dynamics of Family Violence||3|
|CJUS 2094: Deviance||3|
|CJUS 2131: Police Process||3|
|CJUS 2132: The Judicial Process||3|
|CJUS 2216: Corrections Process||3|
|CJUS 2265: Criminal Investigation||3|
|CJUS 2275: Criminal Law||3|
Specialization Courses: Choose Three
|CJUS 3025: Ethical Leadership in Criminal Justice||3|
|CJUS 3030: Research Methodology in Criminal Justice & Criminology||3|
|CJUS 3075: Criminal Procedure||3|
|CJUS 3152: Community Oriented Policing & Problem Solving||3|
|CJUS 3206: Industrial and Business Security||3|
|CJUS 3215: Juvenile Delinquency||3|
|CJUS 3310: Survey of Forensic Science||3|
|CJUS 3530: Corrections Within the Community||3|
|CJUS 4001: Terrorism & Homeland Security||3|
|CJUS 4018: Constitutional Law and Criminal Justice||3|
|CJUS 4029: Administration of Criminal Justice||3|
|CJUS 4045: The U.S. Prison System||3|
|CJUS 4310: Forensic Science Applications||3|
|CJUS 4390: Contemporary Issues in Criminal Justice||3|
|CJUS 4461: Criminology||3|
|CJUS 4465: Victimology||3|
|CJUS 4518: Correctional Institutions & Management||3|
Admission Requirements - Online Criminal Justice Certificate
For university acceptance, first-time freshmen must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of TOPS University Diploma, or its equivalent college readiness core curriculum at the time of high school graduation AND
- High School GPA of 2.0 or higher AND
- Require no more than ONE Developmental Course (or qualify for co-requisite delivery of Freshman Composition or College Algebra) AND
- Either 2.0 GPA, or greater in Core Courses, or ACT Composite of 20* or greater
Transfer students to LSUA must meet one of the following sets of criteria:
- Have earned a transferable associate degree or higher OR
- Have earned at least 18 hours of college-level credit, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0 OR
- Have earned at least 12 hours of college-level credit from LSUE or CLTCC Bridge Program, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0
- If the above are not met, meet freshman admission requirements and be in good standing with their previous institution
Career Opportunities* - Online Criminal Justice Certificate
- Private Security
- Correctional Officer and Bailiff
- Wildlife Agent
- Court Services
- Police Officer
*Additional licensing, training, or other qualifications may be required for certain careers and in certain states.
What Will I Learn?
Students who complete the online criminal justice certificate will gain an understanding of the criminal justice system from criminal law to investigation, private security, forensics, and more. This knowledge will help graduates who are already working in the justice system to advance their current careers. Program graduates who are not already in the field can either secure employment in a criminal justice agency or enroll in LSU Alexandria’s Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice or LSU Eunice’s Associate of Science in Criminal Justice.
Topics covered in this degree include:
- Leadership and ethical issues in a criminal justice setting
- Basic research skills and methodologies
- A study of correctional programs and practices that function outside the traditional institutional setting
- Comprehensive overview of victimology in all its aspects
- An examination of principles of organization, administration, and functional interrelation of criminal justice agencies
- The procedures used to examine both persons and physical evidence
- A study of the problems of juvenile delinquency
Why Choose This Program?
Why choose LSU Alexandria’s online Undergraduate Certificate in Criminal Justice?
If you’re interested in beginning or advancing your career in criminal justice, this online criminal justice certificate can help you reach your goals. Our program is affordable, flexible, and ideal for working professionals. Additionally, if you have police academy training or prior experience in the field, you may be eligible to earn credits toward your degree with our Prior Learning Assessment program.