Online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Discover the Rich Cultural Heritages of the African Diaspora
The online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies is offered through LSU Alexandria and LSU Online. This interdisciplinary program provides students with a thorough understanding of the cultural, historical, and social aspects of the people of Africa and the African diaspora while teaching practical skills and knowledge that students can apply in any field.
The curriculum covers literature, music, philosophy, religion, Africana studies, history, art, and more. Overall, this online degree aims to shape students’ intellectual competencies, encourage creativity, and improve critical thinking skills. By completing this program, graduates will have the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in several different industries, including education, business, marketing, human resources, and politics.
Our faculty members are highly-qualified and experienced professionals with a wealth of knowledge and practical skills. These are the same faculty who teach the on-campus courses.
This is an interdisciplinary program that brings together the highly influential literature, history, music, and religion from African people and the African Diaspora.
The Bachelor of General Studies allows students the chance to earn a minor in several different subjects, including business, history, political science, and psychology.
Students will gain valuable skills that can be applied in a wide spectrum of potential career areas, including education, marketing, politics, and business.
Explore This Program
Cost Online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies
Total credit hours per program: 120 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $325
Total cost with fees and maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $9,750
Total cost with fees: $39,000
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. Transfer credits may apply for up to 75% of degree requirements. Your academic advisor will work with you to determine if and how any prior college credits earned will apply toward your LSUA degree. For further information about the approval for transfer credits and other requirements, please visit this site.
LSU Online offers financial aid to those who qualify.
The total cost above does not include transfer credit or financial aid. Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Fee schedules may vary by program depending on course-specific fees for proctoring and/or books. Please contact a Student Success Coach for more information.
Course Listings Online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies
The Online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies requires 120 credit hours with 30 credit hours of open electives.
Your personal credit requirements could be less depending on transferable credits and credit earned from prior learning assessments.
|General Education Requirements (39 Credit Hours)|
|ENGL 1001 - English Composition I||3|
|ENGL 1002 - English Composition II||3|
|General Education Social Science||6|
|General Education Math||6|
|General Education Communication Studies||3|
|General Education Natural Science||9|
|General Education Humanities||9|
|General Education Fine Arts (fine arts, music, theatre)||3|
|Concentration Requirements (27 Credit Hours)|
|AFST 2001: Introduction to Africana Studies||3|
|AFST 3030: Black Musical Traditions||3|
|AFST 3099: Selected Topics in Africana Studies||3|
|RELG 4020: African Religion||3|
|ENGL 3030: American Slave Narratives||3|
|ENGL 4300: African American Cinema||3|
|ENGL 4674: Major African-American Writers||3|
|HIST 2061: African-American History||3|
|PHIL 4020: Race in America||3|
|Enrichment Block 1*||12|
|Enrichment Block 2||12|
*Enrichment Blocks: Students may choose from available online Humanities, Social Sciences, Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, or Business Administration courses. Note that hours applied to enrichment blocks cannot include hours in any discipline included in the Area of Concentration.
** Courses taken to meet General Education requirements or Elective requirements cannot also be used to meet the requirements of the Area of Concentration or an Enrichment Block. The same course cannot be counted in two categories.
Admission Requirements Online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies
For university acceptance, first-time freshman must meet the following criteria:
- Complete high school Core curriculum for college readiness in place at time of high school graduation
- Not be required to take more than one developmental course
- Have a high school grade point average of at least 2.0
- Meet one of the following:
- Have an ACT composite of 20 or higher
- Have a high school Core grade point average of at least 2.0
Transfer students to LSUA must meet one of the following sets of criteria:
- Have earned a transferable associate degree or higher
- Have earned at least 18 hours of college-level credit, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0
- Have earned at least 12 hours of college-level credit from LSUE or CLTCC Bridge Program, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
- If the above are not met, meet freshman admission requirements and be in good standing with their previous institution
Career Opportunities Online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies
- High School Social Studies Teacher
- Social and Community Services Managers
- Community Organizer
- Diversity Officer
- Public Administrator
- Qualitative Research Moderator
- Ethnic Studies Instructor
- Political Affairs Officer
What Will I Learn? Online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies
Students who graduate with our online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies will gain the knowledge to make informed decisions about the issues affecting Africa and the African diaspora.
Topics covered in this degree include:
- A broad historical survey of Black Africa and its Diaspora, encompassing: early African civilizations, the Atlantic Slave Trade, Black resistance to slavery, African decolonization, and Pan-Africanism in the 20th & 21st Centuries
- A survey of Black African musical traditions, examining West & Central African musical ideas and tracing the spread & manifestation of these ideas in the variety of music of the Atlantic World
- A study of selected topics or issues such as the experiences of African people and African-descended people across the Diaspora
- A broad survey of African spirituality including myths of origin, beliefs about spirit beings, rituals, sacred authority, and African Christianity and Islam
- A study of the history and theories that have characterized Black American cinema, with a broad emphasis on the relationship between African American cinema and American culture and politics
- A study of one or more African-American writers, the Harlem Renaissance, the social protest movement after World War II, the Black Arts Movement, and/or the canonical status of African-American writers
- A focus on the essential place of African Americans in US History from 1619 to the present
- Philosophical issues of race experiences and identity in America
Why Choose This Program? Online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies
Why choose LSU Alexandria’s online Bachelor of General Studies in Africana Studies?
The online BGS in Africana Studies offers a unique opportunity for students to gain an interdisciplinary education and a comprehensive understanding of the culture and history of African people and the African diaspora. This program is flexible and designed so students can earn a minor with only a few additional requirements. Additionally, the online format of the courses offers a flexible and convenient way to learn, allowing students to balance their education with work and other life responsibilities.