Online Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Be the Professional Support Every Physician Needs
Laboratory science is a critical health care field that impacts the health of every individual. The online Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) program from LSU Alexandria provides students the skills needed to pursue a career assisting physicians in the diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of diseases. Our MLS program is ranked as one of the top online Medical Laboratory Science programs in the region.
Applicants must have graduated from an MLT/CLT associate degree program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) and currently hold certification as an MLT(ASCP), CLT(NCA) or equivalent.
Earn your degree online in a flexible format designed with working professionals in mind.
Advance Your Career
This degree is designed for those who have their MLT or CLT and are looking to advance their career in the health care industry.
This program meets the accreditation standards set by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science.
LSUA ranked #3 on Best-Universities.net's list of the Most Affordable Online Bachelor's Degrees for 2022.
Explore This Program
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. For the BS in Medical Laboratory Science program, you are able to transfer up to 75% of previous credits.
Total credit hours: 120 credit hours*
Cost per credit hour: $325
Total cost with fees, and the maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $9,750
Total cost with fees, no transfer credits and no financial aid: $39,000
*Hours for completion program are reduced provided general education and 1000 and 2000 level BIOL and CHEM are complete.
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Exact fees may vary by program. Please consult an Enrollment Coach for the final program cost.
- MLSC 1000/2000 Classes | Credit Hours: up to 24
- MLSC 3000: Advanced Hematology | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 3010: Advanced Immunohematology | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 3020: Advanced Clinical Chemistry | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 3030: Advanced Pathogenic Microbiology | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 3040: Molecular Diagnostics | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 3050: Professional Practices Seminar I | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 4000: Professional Practices Seminar II | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 4010: Clinical Project: Hematology | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 4020: Clinical Project: Clinical Chemistry | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 4030: Clinical Project: Immunohematology Serology | Credit Hours: 3
- MLSC 4040: Clinical Project: Microbiology | Credit Hours: 3
- BIOL 4110: Biochemistry | Credit Hours: 3
- BIOL 4191: Survey of Virology | Credit Hours: 3
- CHEM 2001: General Chemistry | Credit Hours: 3
- CHEM 3060: Organic Chemistry Concepts | Credit Hours: 3
- CHEM 3160: Organic Chemistry Laboratory Concepts | Credit Hours: 2
Additionally, students must complete the Safety Verification quiz, verify receipt of the student handbook, and submit competency checklists and the Capstone project. These are submitted through a Moodle site titled MLSC Competency, Safety, and Capstone Verification.
General Education Science (if not completed on AS degree)
- BIOL 1161: Human A&P I | Credit Hours: 4
- BIOL 1162: Human A&P II | Credit Hours: 4
- CHEM 1201: General Chemistry I | Credit Hours: 3
- CHEM 1202: General Chemistry II | Credit Hours: 3
- CHEM 1301: Chemistry Lab | Credit Hour: 1
- CHEM 1302: Chemistry Lab | Credit Hour: 1
- BIOL 2051: Micro | Credit Hours: 4
If you did not take these courses through your associate degree, you will need to take them at LSUA. These courses are offered at LSUA as online courses. For more information and advisement on transfer questions, please email email@example.com.
Course substitutions will be considered. There are often multiple ways to complete degree requirements.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have successfully completed a National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) accredited program, AND
- Have graduated with an associate degree from a regionally accredited institution,* AND
- Be unconditionally admitted to the university and declare Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) as their major, AND
- Have an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher, AND
- Students must have completed with a grade of "C" or higher all courses listed under the General Education Requirements and Additional Requirements sections of the MLSC curriculum, AND
- Student must be a working MLT/CLT. A completed Verification of Employment Form is required for admission to the program and must be submitted to the admissions office. Students can email firstname.lastname@example.org OR attach to the online application, AND
- Students must be able to meet the program's technical standards/essential requirements, AND
- Students must have two years of work experience as an MLT/CLT generalist (or will have two years of generalist experience at the point that they sit for the ASCP-BOC or equivalent certification examination).
*Military personnel who completed the 50-week training program and hold ASCP Certification may be admissible without a completed associate degree. Please email email@example.com if you meet these criteria for additional information about admissions options.
Students will receive credit for MLSC courses from their Associate Program. Non-MLSC courses will be evaluated on a course by course basis.
- Product Development
- Forensic Science
- Consumer-Product Testing
- Chemical and Materials Science
What Will I Learn?
Students who graduate with an online medical laboratory science degree will be prepared to use the latest technology to perform complex tests on patients.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Graduates will demonstrate cognitive, psychomotor, and affective skills necessary to fulfill the roles and responsibilities of the entry-level medical laboratory scientist.
- Graduates will demonstrate technical skills and delivery of reliable results with assurance and confidence in performing laboratory tasks.
- Graduates will demonstrate appropriate professional communication skills, attitudes, and ethics required of medical laboratory scientists.
- Graduates will integrate the role and services of medical laboratory scientists with the roles and services of other health care professionals in the delivery of patient care to the consumer/public.
Why Choose This Program?
Why Choose LSUA's Online Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science?
LSUA’s online degree prepares students to enter the flourishing medical field. Coursework equips students to successfully pass a national certification examination through the American Society for Clinical Pathology-Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC), or equivalent certification examination. Once completed, this certification allows them to apply for positions in hospitals, clinics, industry, labs, research, quality assurance, quality control, laboratory management, laboratory consulting, and academia. This degree is also ideal for students who plan to apply to medical school, a Pathologist’s Assistant (PA) program, a Doctorate in Clinical laboratory Science (DCLS) program, or other professional programs.
Licensure & Certification
Learn more about specific LSUA programs leading to licensure and certifications.