Online Bachelor of Science in Biology with a Concentration in Modern Biology
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Earn Your Biology Degree in a Flexible Format
The Bachelor of Science in Biology with a concentration in Modern Biology is offered through LSU Alexandria and LSU Online. This affordable and unique program provides students a chance to gain a strong foundation in biology through online coursework and week-long summer lab courses on campus. During the residency, students learn essential lab skills and techniques that are crucial for success in the field of biology. Students may also complete labs at the college of their choice and transfer the credits to this program.
One of the key benefits of this program is that the majority of coursework can be completed online with options available for the in-person lab requirements as described above. With very few other online biology programs available, LSU Alexandria's online Bachelor of Science in Biology is an excellent option for students who wish to pursue positions in the biology field while learning in a flexible online environment. Graduates of the program will be well-prepared for careers in the biological sciences, including jobs such as medical technologists, medical research associates, and laboratory managers.
If you are considering medical school, it is important that you check entrance requirements for schools that you want to apply to. Your MCAT score will be a critical part of meeting entrance requirements, and this degree will prepare you for the MCAT.
Unique Program Structure
Most coursework will be done online, and students can complete labs on campus during a week-long summer residencies or complete the labs at the college of their choice with the option to transfer in those credits.
All students can receive personalized student support from application to graduation.
Our experienced faculty are experts in their fields, dedicated to providing students a high-quality education. These are the same instructors who teach on-campus courses.
LSUA ranked #3 on Best- Universities.net's list of the Most Affordable Online Bachelor's Degrees for 2022.
Explore This Program
Cost Online Bachelor of Science in Biology
Total credit hours per program: 120 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $325
Total cost with fees and maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $9,750
Total cost with fees: $39,000
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. Transfer credits may apply for up to 75% of degree requirements. Your academic advisor will work with you to determine if and how any prior college credits earned will apply toward your LSUA degree. For further information about the approval for transfer credits and other requirements, please visit this site.
LSU Online offers financial aid to those who qualify.
The total cost above does not include transfer credit or financial aid. Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Fee schedules may vary by program depending on course-specific fees for proctoring and/or books. Please contact a Student Success Coach for more information.
Course Listings Online Bachelor of Science in Biology
|General Education Requirements (39 credits)|
|English Composition (6 Credits)|
|ENGL 1001 - English Composition I||3|
|ENGL 1002 - English Composition II||3|
|Social Sciences (6 Credits)|
|General Education Social Sciences||6|
|Mathematics (6 Credits)|
|MATH 1021 - College Algebra||3|
|MATH 1022 - Plane Trigonometry||3|
|Natural Sciences (9 Credits)|
|CHEM 1201 - General Chemistry I||3|
|CHEM 1202 - General Chemistry II||3|
|PHYS 2001 - General Physics I||3|
|Humanities (9 Credits)|
|General Education Communication Studies||3|
|General Education Humanities||6|
|Fine Arts (3 Credits)|
|General Education Fine Arts (fine arts, music, theatre)||3|
|Major Requirements (52 credits, including concentration & Biology Electives)|
|BIOL 1101: General Biology I||3|
|BIOL 1102: General Biology II||3|
|BIOL 1303: General Lab Techniques for Science Majors*||3|
|BIOL 2151: General Microbiology Lecture||3|
|BIOL 2153: Genetics||4|
|BIOL 3160: Survey of the Plant Kingdom||4|
|BIOL 3150: Animal Physiology OR BIOL 3152 Comparative Anatomy OR BIOL 3500 Natural History of the Vertebrates OR BIOL 4154 Invertebrate Zoology||4|
|BIOL 4000: Senior Seminar||1|
|Modern Biology Concentration (15 Credits)|
|BIOL 3090: Cellular and Molecular Biology||3|
|BIOL 3092: Molecular Genetics and Cellular Techniques*||3|
|BIOL 4110: Biochemistry||3|
|CHEM 3262: Organic Chemistry II||3|
|CSCI 2350: Computer Programming I||3|
|Biology Electives: 12 additional credits chosen from list of available BIOL, CHEM, or CSCI courses|
|Additional Requirements (17 Credits)|
|CHEM 1301: General Chemistry Laboratory I||1|
|CHEM 1301: General Chemistry Laboratory II||1|
|CHEM 3160: Organic Chemistry Laboratory Concepts||2|
|CHEM 3261: Organic Chemistry I||3|
|CSCI 1250: Introduction to Computer Programming||3|
|ENGL 3002: Technical Writing||3|
|MATH 2011: General Statistics||3|
|BIOL 1000: Orientation to Biological Sciences**||1|
|Electives (12 credits)|
General lab skills are an essential component for a career in the Biological Sciences, and they can be acquired through various means in this program. One way to develop these skills is to attend one of our one-week General Lab Techniques for Science Majors courses in the Summer at LSUA. During that week you will gain hands-on experience with expert instructors while covering the lab techniques you would learn by taking the individual labs for General Biology I, General Biology II, and Microbiology. Another option is by taking lab classes at a university near you and transferring those credits to your degree with LSU Online.
Similarly, to gain required skills in advanced molecular techniques we offer a one-week in person course in Molecular Genetics and Cellular Techniques on campus in the Summer or you can transfer over courses such as Molecular Techniques, Cell Techniques, Cell Biology Lab, or Molecular Biology Lab.
Regardless of the method, developing strong lab skills is crucial for success in the field of biology and we are committed to providing accessible opportunities for you to acquire and hone these skills.
**LSUA 1001 can be substituted for BIOL 1000.
Admission Requirements Online Bachelor of Science in Biology
For university acceptance, first-time freshman must meet the following criteria:
- Complete high school Core curriculum for college readiness in place at time of high school graduation
- Not be required to take more than one developmental course
- Have a high school grade point average of at least 2.0
- Meet one of the following:
- Have an ACT composite of 20 or higher
- Have a high school Core grade point average of at least 2.0
Transfer students to LSUA must meet one of the following sets of criteria:
- Have earned a transferable associate degree or higher
- Have earned at least 18 hours of college-level credit, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0
- Have earned at least 12 hours of college-level credit from LSUE or CLTCC Bridge Program, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
- If the above are not met, meet freshman admission requirements and be in good standing with their previous institution
Career Opportunities Online Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Medical Technologist
- Research Scientist
- Laboratory Manager
- Nature Conservation Officer
- Forensic Scientist
- Graduate School
What Will I Learn? Online Bachelor of Science in Biology
Students who graduate with the online biology degree will be well-prepared for a variety of careers in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Graduates will demonstrate understanding of the general principles of life.
- Graduates will demonstrate understanding of the chemical properties, structural organization, and functional characteristics of living organisms.
- Graduates will demonstrate understanding of the scientific method and be able to apply it to solve problems.
- Graduates will develop a behavior of questioning and analytical skills that lead to a life-long habit of learning.
- Graduates will demonstrate the potential to make use of their biological education when making decisions about environmental and political issues relating to science.
- Graduates will demonstrate understanding of ecological and environmental concepts, including issues that affect Louisiana.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to communicate scientific information verbally and in writing in a professional manner.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to find and evaluate scientific information.
- Graduates will have had exposure to field-specific literature.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to differentiate between ethical and unethical behavior with regard to science.
Why Choose This Program? Online Bachelor of Science in Biology
Why choose LSU Alexandria’s Bachelor of Science in Biology with a Concentration in Modern Biology?
LSU Alexandria's Bachelor of Science in Biology with a Concentration in Modern Biology is a flexible program that is designed to prepare students for diverse careers in the biological sciences or entrance to graduate schools. The program has also received a Board of Regents enhancement grant for undergraduate research opportunities. With few other programs like it, LSU Alexandria's online Bachelor of Science in Biology provides a one-of-a-kind educational experience that can support students in their future careers.