How to Navigate Your Education as a Military Spouse
Military life comes with unique challenges for spouses. Frequent moves and uncertain schedules can make pursuing education a daunting prospect. However, investing in your education is an act of personal growth and a path to unlocking diverse career opportunities. Though navigating the educational landscape as a military spouse can be difficult, certain strategies help make the journey easier.
Identify Your Educational Goals
Every successful educational journey begins with a clear vision. As a military spouse, you need to identify your passions, interests, and career aspirations. Reflecting on these aspects is essential. Consider the following:
- Reflect on Your Interests: Start by understanding what truly interests you. Your enthusiasm for a particular field can significantly impact your success in your educational journey.
- Set Realistic Goals: It's crucial to set achievable goals that align with your long-term plans. This approach will help you maintain focus and motivation throughout your education.
- Align Education with Career: Aligning your educational pursuits with your career goals ensures that your efforts directly contribute to your future success.
Explore Flexible Education Options
Military life is dynamic, often marked by relocations and irregular schedules. Exploring flexible education options is a necessity. Here's how you can adapt:
- Online Education: Embrace the flexibility of online education. Online programs, hybrid courses, and remote learning can be ideal for military spouses. Asynchronous classes offer flexibility that allows you to study at your own pace while accommodating your unique schedule. LSU Online & Continuing Education offers access to diverse programs that provide the flexibility and convenience necessary for students like you.
- Researching Supportive Institutions: It's essential to research and choose educational institutions and programs that support military spouses. Look for colleges and universities that offer resources and services tailored to your needs. Learn more about how LSU Online serves our military-affiliated students.
How to Use Military Spouse Education Benefits
The military offers many beneficial resources and scholarships to help spouses pursue education. Familiarize yourself with these opportunities:
- Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO): The SECO program is designed exclusively for military spouses. The Military OneSource website and the MySECO portal offer comprehensive information and resources to assist you. Explore the "Pursue Your Education" section in the portal to identify your educational path and learn about available colleges.
- MyCAA Scholarship: The My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a valuable opportunity for military spouses. This workforce development program provides eligible military spouses with up to $4,000 in financial assistance. It supports the pursuit of licenses, certifications, or associate degrees necessary for employment in specific career fields. You can also use the funds for national tests required for approved degree programs. Find more details and apply on the MyCAA website.
- GI Bill® Benefits: Military spouses may sometimes take advantage of their spouse's GI Bill benefits. Keep in mind that budget cuts can impact these benefits, and transferability may change. To protect your family's educational future, consider starting your application as soon as possible.
- Federal Student Aid: The Department of Education provides billions of dollars in educational loans and grants. Completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a crucial step to determine your eligibility. Take advantage of related college scholarships for military children and spouses as well.
Take Advantage of Your Military Spouse Benefits with LSU Online & Continuing Education
Your journey to gain an education that opens doors to the career of your dreams can begin today! If you have any questions or need further assistance, our Enrollment Coaches are here to help. Connect with them now! You can also visit the LSU Department of Veterans Affairs or the William A. Brookshire Military and Veterans Student Center for more information.
Ready to take the next step? Explore the degrees and certificates offered through LSU Online & Continuing Education. We're excited to support you as you pursue personal and professional growth at LSU.
Ready to reach your goals?
Take the first step forward by completing the form and our enrollment team will contact you soon to discuss:
- What program meets your academic and career goals
- Financial aid options (employer funding, military benefits)
- Receiving credit for past education (transfer, professional development)
- The admissions process and timeline