Online Bachelor of Science in Mathematics with a concentration in Actuarial Science
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Prepare for a Career in the Actuarial or Academic Field
In a world with emerging risks and the need for innovative ways to manage them, there is a demand for actuaries. Start your career with LSU Alexandria’s online Bachelor of Science in Mathematics with a concentration in Actuarial Science. This flexible degree provides solid preparation for a career in risk management and assessment or academics. Developed out of LSU Alexandria’s Department of Mathematics, this fully online program is designed to grow and refine student’s analytical skills with curriculum topics involving mathematics, statistics, financial economics, quantitative finance, and risk management. Additionally, LSUA's online programs provide you the opportunity to synchronously interact with instructors (in real-time) via video conferencing and other technologies in a flexible format that fits your busy schedule. These sessions also allow engagement with course content and build a community among our online students.
This program provides students with the opportunity to work on faculty-mentored projects and presentations, giving them valuable experience for a career in mathematics.
This degree prepares students to sit for the first two Society of Actuaries exams.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of actuaries is projected to grow 24 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations.
Learn in a flexible format that is ideal for professionals balancing work and home responsibilities.
Explore This Program
Cost Online Actuarial Science
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. Transfer credits may apply for up to 75% of degree requirements. Your academic advisor will work with you to determine if and how any prior college credits earned will apply toward your LSUA degree.
Total credit hours for program: 120 credit hours
Cost per credit hour (with fees): $325
Total cost with fees, and the maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $9,750
Total cost with fees, no transfer credits and no financial aid: $39,000
For further information about the approval for transfer credits and other requirements, please visit this site.
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Fee schedules may vary by program depending on course-specific fees for proctoring and/or books. Please contact a Student Success Coach for more information.
Course Listings Online Actuarial Science
- MATH 2047: Calculus III-A | Credit Hours: 2 (Prerequisites: Calculus I-A&B, II-A&B)
- MATH 2048: Calculus III-B | Credit Hours: 2
- MATH 3040: Fundamentals of Mathematics | Credit Hours: 3
- MATH 3065: Elementary Differential Equations | Credit Hours: 3
- MATH 3085: Linear Algebra | Credit Hours: 3
- CSCI 1250: Introduction to Computer Programming | Credit Hours: 3
- MATH 3355: Probability | Credit Hours: 3
- MATH 4050: Financial Mathematics or FINC 3826: Investments | Credit Hours: 3
- MATH 4056: Mathematical Statistics | Credit Hours: 3
- ACCT 2001: Financial Accounting | Credit Hours: 3
- ACCT 2101: Managerial Accounting | Credit Hours: 3
- FINC 3715: Business Finance | Credit Hours: 3
- Upper Level Math | Credit Hours: 6
- English Elective, 2000 level or above | Credit Hours: 3
- Free electives | Credit Hours: 36
Admission Requirements Online Actuarial Science
For university acceptance, first-time freshman must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of TOPS University Diploma, or its equivalent college readiness core curriculum at time of high school graduation AND
- High School GPA of 2.0 or higher AND
- Require no more than ONE Developmental Course (or qualify for co-requisite delivery of Freshman Composition or College Algebra) AND
- Either 2.0 GPA, or greater in Core Courses, or ACT Composite of 20* or greater
Transfer students to LSUA must meet one of the following sets of criteria:
- Have earned a transferable associate degree or higher OR
- Have earned at least 18 hours of college-level credit, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0 OR
- Have earned at least 12 hours of college-level credit from LSUE or CLTCC Bridge Program, including a college-level English and college-level mathematics course, with a grade of “C” or higher in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.0
- If the above are not met, meet freshman admission requirements and be in good standing with their previous institution
Career Opportunities Online Actuarial Science
- Financial Planner
- Computational Mathematician
- Grades 6-12 Teacher (with proper certification)
- Insurance Company Executive
- Risk Management Specialist
- Theoretical Mathematics Researcher
What Will I Learn? Online Actuarial Science
Students who graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics with a concentration in Actuarial Science will be equipped with the mathematical and functional business education necessary to become an actuary.
Topics covered in the program include:
- An introduction to probability, emphasizing concrete problems and applications, random variables, expectation, conditional probability, law of large numbers, central limit theorem, and stochastic processes
- Calculus-based deterministic and non- deterministic methods in mathematical finance
- Characteristics and valuation of common stocks, bonds; function and efficiency of U.S. securities markets; theory and practice of portfolio selection
- Calculus-based treatment of probability distributions, sampling, estimation, testing involving parameters from one and several populations, regression, and independence
- An introductory study of the nature of economics, economic concepts and problems, economic system, and the role of government
- A study of basic economics, exploring theories of production, determination of prices in regulated and unregulated industries, functional distribution, international economics, and problems of economic development
Why Choose This Program? Online Actuarial Science
Why choose LSUA’s online Bachelor of Science in Mathematics?
LSUA’s bachelor of mathematics with a concentration in actuarial science is 100% online, and it provides a convenient way for students to learn on their own time. The affordable degree also prepares students to sit for the first two Society of Actuaries exams. Graduates can find work in insurance companies, consulting firms, or state or federal government.