Online Graduate Certificate in Transportation Engineering
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Pave Your Way to Career Growth
The online Graduate Certificate in Transportation Engineering is offered through LSU Online and the LSU College of Engineering. This certificate provides professionals in the field of civil engineering to gain a valuable understanding of three infrastructure-related topics: pavement engineering, geotechnical engineering, and traffic engineering. There is a critical need for professionals to address the nation’s aging infrastructure that will require billions of dollars to be upgraded. Graduates will be well-positioned to meet this need and make a difference while advancing their careers in the field of transportation engineering through this flexible, online program.
Seamlessly transfer your completed certificate into the online MS in Civil Engineering.
Receive flat-rate tuition nationwide.
Learn from award-winning faculty chosen for their real-world experience.
Learn in a flexible format, ideal for professionals balancing work and home responsibilities.
Explore This Program
Cost - Online Transportation Engineering Certificate
You may be able to find savings and earn credit from previous work or training, or as demonstrated by your industry certifications, through Prior Learning Assessment. Learn more.
Total credit hours per program: 12 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $779
Total cost with fees: $9,348
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Fee schedules may vary by program depending on course-specific fees for proctoring and/or books. Please contact a Student Success Coach for more information.
Course Listings - Online Transportation Engineering Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in Transportation Engineering requires 12 credit hours to earn your certificate. This program is made up of four courses that ensure graduates are prepared with a complete education that is applicable to real-life business scenarios.
|Core Courses||Credit Hours|
|CE 4650 Introduction to Asphalt Mix Design||3|
|CE 4670 Pavement Design||3|
|CE 7335 Soil Improvement and Stabilization||3|
|CE 7610 Traffic Engineering Operations and Control||3|
Admission Requirements - Online Transportation Engineering Certificate
Applicants to the online Graduate Certificate in Transportation Engineering must meet the following criteria:
- An undergraduate degree in civil engineering from an accredited institution or its equivalent with an overall GPA of 3.0. A GPA of 2.75 may be accepted with relevant work experience.
- GRE waived until August of 2023.
- 3 professional letters of recommendation.
- The TOEFL or IELTS scores (no more than two years old) are required for international applicants unless they have completed one year of full-time study at a U.S. university. For the TOEFL, applicants must have a score of at least 550 on the paper-based test, a 213 on the computer-based test, or a 79 on the Internet-based test, or an IELTS score of 6.5, or a PTE score of at least 59.
Applicants Without an Undergraduate Degree in Civil Engineering
Students without an undergraduate BS degree in CEE are allowed to enroll in graduate programs. However, those students are required to pass leveling courses to satisfy department requirements. The department and transportation specialty leveling courses are listed below. Students may enroll as a non-matriculating until leveling courses are completed.
- MATH 1550 - Analytic Geometry and Calculus I
- MATH 1552 - Analytic Geometry and Calculus II
- MATH 2065 - Elementary Differential Equations
- CE 2450 - Statics
- CE 2200 - Fluid Mechanics
- MATH 2057 - Multidimensional Calculus
- CE 2700 - Introduction to Civil Engineering Practice
- EXST 2201 - Introduction to Statistical Analysis
- CE 3300 - Geotechnical Engineering I
- CE 3400 - Mechanics of Materials
- CE 3600 - Principles of Highway and Traffic Engineering
- CE 3700 - Engineering Materials Laboratory
- Civil Engineer
- Transportation Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Project Manager
- Highway Engineer
- Airport Engineer
What Will I Learn?
Students who graduate with an online graduate certificate in transportation engineering will gain the skills necessary to manage and assess with confidence transportation infrastructure strategy.
Topics covered in this certificate include:
- Mastery of fundamental knowledge in transportation engineering
- Application of knowledge in the structural and geometric designs of highways
- Paving materials characterization and performance prediction
- Management and assessment of the transportation infrastructure
Why Choose This Program?
Why choose LSU’s online Graduate Certificate in Transportation Engineering?
Many students choose this online certificate because of how effortlessly it transfers into our online Master of Science in Civil Engineering program. The on-demand format allows you to structure your learning in a way that is convenient for you.