Online Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Total Credit Hours
Cost Per Credit Hour
Create a Degree that You Desire.
The Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS) is a customized degree intended for students who are looking to combine social sciences with interests in business, leadership, information technology, digital marketing, and humanities. This unique program provides individuals the opportunity to take courses from multiple disciplines, forming a rewarding experience that is completely online. Students can transfer in prior-earned credits or start their degree from scratch. Graduates of LSU’s BIS program can finish in as little as four years, and become equipped to succeed in various career roles such as a legislative assistant, college recruiter, business manager, human resources specialist, and more.
The online BIS is an undergraduate degree that includes three minors. A student must select three minors from the following choices listed below:
- Business Administration
- Communication Studies
- Information Technology Management
- Leadership Development
The online BIS provides students the freedom to tailor their major to fit their interests and career goals.
Find a Job
Every student creates an e-portfolio to market themselves to potential employers.
Easily Transfer Credits
Transfer up to 75% of previous credits towards the online BIS, saving both time and money.
Experience the flexibility to customize your curriculum through a combination of three minors.
“Purposefully designed to develop students’ problem-solving and formal communication abilities, the program provides them with practice in the ability to step back from a problem, as it were, and regard it from multiple disciplinary perspectives. This broadened view improves the prospect of effective practical approaches to the resolution of complex problems.”
Dr. Bobby L. Matthews
Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies Capstone Course Instructor
See What Makes This Program Special
Recent graduate, Alex, talks about his 20-year journey to graduation and how he felt when he finally earned his degree.
Explore This Program
Cost Online Interdisciplinary Studies
You may be able to find savings and earn credit from previous work or training, or as demonstrated by your industry certifications, through Prior Learning Assessment. Learn more.
The final cost of this program will be determined once all transfer credits are evaluated. For the BIS program, you are able to transfer up to 75% of previous credits. Your academic advisor will work with you to determine if and how any prior college credits earned will apply toward your LSU degree.
*For further information about the approval for transfer credits and other requirements, please visit this site.
LSU Online also offers financial aid to qualified applicants. Click here to learn more.
Total credit hours per program: 120 credit hours
Cost per credit hour: $379
Total cost with fees and maximum amount of credits allowed to transfer into the program: $11,370
Total cost with fees, no transfer credits and no financial aid: $45,480
Cost per credit hour and fees are subject to change. Fee schedules may vary by program depending on course-specific fees for proctoring and/or books. Please contact a Student Success Coach for more information.
Course Listings Online Interdisciplinary Studies
|Program Core||Credit Hours|
|ENGL 1001 English Composition||3|
|ENGL 2000 English Composition||3|
|UNST 3900 Interdisciplinarity||3|
|General Education course - Analytical Reasoning (Mathematics)||3|
|General Education course - Analytical Reasoning||3|
|General Education course - Arts||3|
|General Education course - Humanities||9|
|General Education course - Natural Sciences||12|
|General Education course - Social Sciences||3|
|General Education course - Social Sciences (2000-level)||3|
|Approved Social Sciences Electives||12|
|EXST 2000 or ISDS 1100 or LIS 2001 or compuer science or a foreign language||3|
|Minor Selection 1||15|
|Minor Selection 2||15|
|Minor Selection 3||15|
*This recommended path template is a general course path for the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies, but does not encompass every minor or course option available. Please consult with your academic counselor in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences for an individualized course path that will incorporate your specific minors and previous course credits earned. For more details on this pathway, please visit the LSU General Catalog.
- If two-course sequence is taken in the physical sciences, the additional three hour course must be taken from the life sciences, and vice versa.
- At least 45 hours of credit at or above the 3000-level must be completed; of the 45 hours, at least 15 must be at the 4000-level.
- General Education/Approved Social Sciences must cover at least three different departments from list.
- General Education Humanities must cover at least one non-ENGL, non-General Education Arts department from list.
Admission Requirements Online Interdisciplinary Studies
First Time Freshman
- 3.0 Core GPA on the 19 units of college-preparatory high school courses as outlined in the LSU Core
- LSU is a test-optional institution which means applicants will have the choice to select if they wish to have their ACT or SAT scores considered for admission. Click here to learn more!
Transfer Student General Admission Requirements
- 30* or more transferable (academic, non-remedial) credit hours from a regionally-accredited college or university
- 2.5 academic GPA on all transferable college work attempted
- A grade of “C” or better in a college-level English course that fulfilled a general education requirement at the institution where it was taken
- A grade of “C” or better in a college-level Math course that fulfilled a general education requirement at the institution where it was taken
*Students who will not have 30 transferable credit hours by the time they plan to enroll at LSU can still be considered for admission if they meet all remaining transfer requirements.
To see about transfer credits please check out the TIGER TRANSFER TABLES
Re-Entry Student Admission Requirements
Students interested in applying for re-entry to LSU must have a 2.0 GPA on all LSU coursework and must meet the requirements for their prospective senior college. Students who have attempted 30 or more hours at another institution must also have a 2.5 cumulative GPA on all college work attempted. For your senior college specific requirements please check out the Re-Entry Student Requirements per College.
If you feel like you do not meet any of the above qualifications please reach out to your Enrollment Coach team member as there are different evaluation pathways for non-traditional students to take.
Undergraduate students who are reviewed and admitted by meeting LSU A&M general admissions requirements but do not meet the admittance requirements to a senior college have two admissions options:
Students can start with The University College Center for Freshman Year (UCFY). This academic unit is designed for new freshmen and some transfer and re-entry students. Their mission is to prepare incoming students for success at LSU and to help define their academic and career goals. Students typically exit the UCFY at the conclusion of the freshman year and enter one of the degree-granting senior colleges at LSU.
Students can start with The Center for Advising and Counseling (UCAC). This administrative unit serves as the academic home for students who have attempted 30-plus hours of college credit and who do not yet meet the admission requirements for one of the University’s degree-granting senior colleges.
For a list of specific senior college requirements please visit the LSU A&M Undergraduate Admission page.
Degree Requirements Online Interdisciplinary Studies
- No more than 24 hours in any one subject may be used toward this degree, unless minor area requirements dictate otherwise.
- No more than 30 hours of Independent and Distance Learning credit may be used toward this degree.
- No more than eight hours of kinesiology activity courses may be used toward this degree.
- No more than 12 hours of ROTC credit may be used toward this degree.
- At least 45 hours of credit at or above the 3000 level must be completed; of the 45 hours, at least 15 must be at the 4000 level.
- At least a 2.00 GPA on all work taken in the LSU System. At least a 2.00 GPA on all work taken.
- At least a 2.00 GPA in all minors.
- Enrollment in internships, independent study, and research courses must have prior dean’s approval.
- Students are required to complete coursework from at least three different departments in both the humanities and social sciences areas.
- Complete all requirements for the area of concentration.
- Complete all general education requirements.
- Complete elective courses to reach 120 hours.
- A student must earn three hours in one of the following: computer science, EXST 2000, ISDS 1100, LIS 2001, or a foreign language.
- Complete UNST 3900, a capstone course for seniors majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies currently enrolled in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences.
Career Opportunities Online Interdisciplinary Studies
- Sales Consultant
- Elementry & Middle School Teacher
- Seconday School Teachers
- Social Worker
- Human Resource Workers
Why Choose This Program? Online Interdisciplinary Studies
Why choose LSU’s online Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies?
Our unique program offers students a chance to build a degree that is perfectly tailored to their desired career or education goals. The program is entirely online, and it provides a flexible learning experience for nontraditional students or working professionals. Additionally, virtual classes are taught by the same expert professors who teach on-campus. The multi-disciplinary nature of the degree means that graduates can find work in a diverse range of fields, from the legislative field to the entertainment industry.
The passion and excellence that LSU stands for have earned the school a coveted "Tier One" spot in U.S. News & World Report's “Best Colleges.” As the state’s flagship university, LSU has been preparing students for rewarding careers for nearly 150 years. Today, LSU is equally proud of its strides to make education more accessible through innovative online degree programs that are every bit as rigorous as its on-campus programs
Through the dedication of an exceptional faculty and staff, LSU is one of only 30 universities in the United States designated as a land-grant, sea-grant, and space-grant institution. In addition, LSU is the only public top-tier university—and the only university in Louisiana—to receive the honor of being placed in the "very high research activity" category by the Carnegie Foundation.
What Will I Learn? Online Interdisciplinary Studies
Since the online BIS is a program that is specifically tailored to your individual needs and desires, the topics learned in the program will vary. However, you will hone your skills in written or verbal communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking throughout any degree pathway you choose.
The Interdisciplinary Studies major will also provide a chance for you to build a foundation in the following concentrations:
- Health Sciences
- Individualized Studies
- Leadership And Society
- Studies In Organizations
- Writing And Performing Arts